Saturday, September 3, 2011

"S" is for Step Stool #2

I built a kids step stool.

diy kids step stool

diy kids step stool

Miss Lily is turning one, ready to walk and climb so this will come in handy.

diy kids step stool

The plans can be found at Ana White's site here.

diy kids step stool

To see all the other furniture pieces I made for Lily click here.

I added some girlie flowers to pretty it up taking inspiration from these PBKids quilts:

images from Pottery Barn kids

Similar resemblance.

diy kids step stool

Here's how I made the stool:

1. Using Ana's plans cut your pieces.
(I used all scraps - 3/4" plywood and 1 x 2s.)

how to build a kids step stool

2. Construct, fill screw holes with wood putty and sand.

how to build a kids step stool

3. Prime.
Two coats Behr watermelon.
Sand to distress.
Paint decorative flowers.

how to build a kids step stool

how to build a kids step stool

4. Add personalization.
Print name and center on top step.
Trace letters with some pressure using ball point pen, the pen will leave a small indent in the wood.

how to personalize a kids step stool

5. Paint inside the indent.

how to personalize a kids step stool

how to personalize a kids step stool

6. Seal using two coats satin poly.

diy kids personalized step stool

A useful gift for years to come.

diy kids personalized step stool

diy kids personalized step stool

Happy Birthday Lily!

8 comments:

  1. i am always so jealous of your building skills! thanks for stopping by today... i love your work... always! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great. I need to make one for my girls. If you get a chance I would love you to link your stool up to More the Merrier Monday. It starts tonight and lasts through Wednesday. See you there. http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super Cute! I bet she just loves using it :) Adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so cute! i love the color! and i am with hilary and wish i could build like you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sweet looking! My step-father recently made step-stools for my kiddos. Looks like a fun and functional project!

    ~ Meredith From A Mother Seeking



    A Mother Seeking...




    This week, "When Life Hands You Lemons..."

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! I love the colors and the flowers! My daughter is 2 and carries a chair around with her all over the house so she can reach anything up on a counter...so much fun :) ha! That girl is into EVERYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You inspired me! Sadly, your link to get the dimensions for the step stool dont work. Can you post them please?

    ReplyDelete