Friday, January 4, 2013

DIY Lone Starburst Paper Pieced Pillow

diy lone starburst pillow

How to sew a long starburst quilted pillow.  A paper pieced quilt block (source here) that's so fast and easy you'll need to make many more!

diy lone starburst quilted pillow


I paper pieced this lone starburst block using scraps and now we have the most fun accent pillow:

lone starburst quilted pillow

lone starburst quilted pillow

My girl #1 quickly claimed this pillow as hers, now I've got to get busy making two more for the others:

lone starburst quilted pillow

lone starburst quilted pillow

Here's how to make the lone starburst pillow:

1. Print 4 copies of the paper pattern from here:

lone starburst paper piecing pattern

2. Begin paper piecing following the numbers, I sew from the backside:

how to sew a lone starburst pattern

how to paper piece a lone starburst pattern

3. All pieces sewn:

lone starburst pattern pieces

4. Sew pieces together to form block:

lone starburst pattern

5. To quilt pillow front layer block, batting and white cotton.
Pin and quilt as desired.

making a quilted top sandwich

6. To make pillow envelope closure place overlapping back pieces (pink polka dots) right side down on top of quilted block:
Sew around all four edges and turn right side out.

envelope enclosure for pillow

Add pillow insert.

diy lone starburst pillow

7 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful! I also adore your headboard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I haven't been brave enough to paper piece...maybe now's the time. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this pillow and the colors are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous pillow!!! I love your fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the others--love the color choices! This reminds me that I paper-pieced a quilt top a few years ago and started woodworking before I got a back on it and quilted it. Might be time to get that finished :) I love how paper piecing really gives you precision on difficult blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this pillow! Looks so colorful and fresh! Beautiful job! Liz

    ReplyDelete