Build: easy ribbon organizer
There are tons of different ribbon organizer systems out there.
I made this version using scrap 2x4 wood pieces and a round dowel:
I'm finally making headway in the basement unpacking my craft, sewing and shop supplies (hence the reason all these pictures were taken in the basement with overhead lighting :)).
I came across my ribbon stash and decided to tackle the situation.
I had two simple criteria for this ribbon organizer:
1. Easy on - easy off. I want the ability to easily remove the entire ribbon spool from the holder.
2. Visibility. I like to see my stock.
Each ribbon 'tower' is about 15" tall which holds at least a dozen spools.
The tower is super sturdy with a 2x4 base and the ribbon spools easily slide on and off the dowel as needed.
I started with a drawer full of ribbon spools and now have a beautiful organized shelf full of ribbon neatly stored by color:
The ribbon organizers make for great eye candy and sure dress up my stone basement workspace:
Consider your storage space before you make the ribbon organizers.
I had the perfect shelf to house the ribbon towers and I made the dowel height to fit the shelves:
How to build an easy ribbon organizer:
1. Cut scrap 2x4 into 3 1/2" lengths and purchase 5/16" round dowels:
2. Using a 5/16" drill bit mark the depth of the bit with painters tape so as not to go all the way through the 2x4 base.
Drill a hole for the dowel at least 1" deep:
3. Cut the dowels to desired height (mine are about 14").
4. Squeeze a generous drop of wood glue down into the pre-drilled hole:
5. Place dowel into hole and secure by tapping the top end with a hammer:
Let dry and full with ribbon spools!
I'm linking up to:
SAS @ Funky Junk
Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
That DIY Party @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
The Scoop @ Lolly Jane
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework